Mayflower’s mission is work collectively for God’s dream of justice and has numerous justice teams that thrive with clergy attention. Likewise, Mayflower is committed to the lifelong learning and forming of adults on the Jesus path.
About the Position
The Transitional Associate Minister for Justice Organizing and Adult Faith Formation is an exempt position. Though we prefer full time, we are open to part time initially, moving to full time in the future. The position reports to the Team Lead Minister and works collaboratively with the Leadership Team, which consists of the Team Lead Minister, Director of Faith Formation, and Director of Operations and Development.
1. Member integration and engagement
The Transitional Associate Minister will spend the majority of time engaging and connecting church members with opportunities to become involved in the life of Mayflower related to their passions, talents and interests. Effective use of technology to engage members and document members’ talents and interests is key to the success of this position.
The position also provides staff leadership to the various volunteer systems and teams, in consultation with the Team Lead Minister. Programmatic areas include:
- Social justice – Works closely with the justice ministry teams (e.g., ISAIAH core team, Earthwise) to help members live out the Congregation’s callings and support Mayflower’s engagement in the wider movements of justice in the UCC and of other partners.
- Adult education – Works with the lay leaders and staff to coordinate, research, and promote adult education, leveraging the wealth of talents of the congregation and community.
- New member process – Leads the process of engaging and assimilating new members, including planning and leading new member programming.
2. Pastoral Care
In conjunction with the Team Lead Minister and Visitation Minister, the Transitional Associate Minister shares pastoral and crisis care. In addition, this person occasionally officiates at weddings and funerals.
3. Preaching and worship leadership
The Transitional Associate Minister participates regularly in worship, preaches monthly, and contributes to weekly worship planning.
The Transitional Associate Minister is attentive to communications among and beyond the congregation, working with several key volunteers and the Office and Communications Coordinator to carry out plans.
The Transitional Associate Minister serves on Leadership Team and provides items for LT’s monthly report to Council and works with Council in relevant areas.
- Commitment to personal growth in disciplines of faith-based organizing
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission and vision of Mayflower
- Passion for the church in the world and its ministry of compassion and justice
- Passion for theological study and research
- Inter-culturally competent
- Strong belief in shared ministry
- Understanding of role as Associate, in relation to Team Lead Minister and Leadership Team
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Collaborative and appreciative of leadership gifts of others, including members, staff and Leadership Team.
- Work with teams, consider when to lead more, when to let others lead
- Attentive to process and follow through on projects
- Able to balance public role and congregational leadership
The Transitional Associate Pastor shall be invited to serve for a period of one year, with the option of extension at the request of the Team Lead Minister and Church Council. This position may evolve into a called position.
Position includes generous benefits including health and pension as full time (and adjusted if part time). Seminary school students are welcome to apply. Also open to clergy of other faith traditions than the UCC.
How to Apply
Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
Rev. Sarah Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org (612) 767-1361